The initial plans for a new Catholic high school were suggested by Bishop William Murray in 1978, with a project team led by Father John Ward of the Dapto Parish seeing the construction through to its completion. One hundred and forty students commenced in 1982, with Brother Mat Murphy as the founding Principal.
St Joseph’s Catholic High School is a regional systemic co-educational high school. The school provides a quality Catholic education for young men and women in the southern Illawarra, drawing students from areas bounded by Gerringong and Kiama in the south, Unanderra in the north, Shellharbour and Warilla in the east and Albion Park in the west.
A Catholic School
Our school has a proud tradition as a caring and vital Catholic community that welcomes parental involvement. The pastoral care of our students is a focus that we are proud of. In providing a safe and supportive school community, we strive to ensure that each student has the opportunity to realise goals and focus on their learning.
We focus on motivating students to achieve their best, vocationally and academically. Through implementing regular routines of study to complement their educational opportunities, we encourage each student to maximise his or her learning.
As a faith community, there is an emphasis on the total development of students. The spiritual, social, academic and physical dimensions are underpinned by parish input, a rich liturgical tradition, community events such as St Joseph’s Day, social justice inspired whole school events and an extracurricular program which encourages full student engagement.
Opportunities abound in a diverse range of sports. Excellent facilities, including a gymnasium, coincide with a rich sporting tradition that the school is proud of. The school has a strong reputation in the Performing Arts. Up to 15% of the school’s students are involved in the school musical, which is offered annually. A magnificent school choir and musical heritage attracts many students. Likewise many theatre, debating and public speaking opportunities are available to students.
What We Offer
- A proud tradition of outstanding academic success as witnessed by sustained Higher School Certificate success and a high level of tertiary educational opportunities being realised by students.
- A growing commitment to careers and vocational education programs with an extensive curriculum of dual accredited vocational courses offered at St Joseph’s in well equipped and modern facilities.
- Emphasis on pastoral care and the provision of school counselling where student wellbeing is prioritised.
- Cutting edge learning with a whole school commitment to information technology. All classrooms are connected to the internet. Our 1:1 BYODD program enables students to be up to date with the latest applications & programs. Learning and teaching experiences provide significant opportunities for students in learning technologies.
- A prized community spirit which values highly a strong working relationship between parents and school.
- An active Parents and Friends’ Association which sponsors a diversity of school community events.
- A commitment to learning models and projects that emphasise independent learning and critical thinking.A rich extracurricular program that features a proud history in rock eisteddfods and school musicals which all students can access.
- An excellent array of sports facilities that includes a gymnasium featuring two indoor basketball courts, outside netball, basketball/tennis courts and playing fields.
- A school that has implemented a sustainability and environmental program over the last six years. A Sustainable School
- Grounds Program features student involvement in maintaining gardens, tending bush tucker and vegetable gardens.
- Opportunities to represent the school are many, including sports, debating, public speaking, music, dance, choir, school musical and social justice initiatives.
- An extensive peer support and orientation program for Year 7 students that ensures a positive transition to high school life.
- A modern creative arts facility that provides rich opportunities to students in all areas of the arts.
- 60% of students proceed to university or TAFE.
- Outstanding HSC results over many years.
- Local and State success in school musical productions and Rock Eisteddfods.
- A strong emphasis on creative arts.
- An outstanding tradition of involvement in Social Justice at school.
- Successful participation in major competitions for Debating and Public Speaking.
- A tradition of excellence in teaching as evidenced by examples of staff winning Premier Awards, a Churchill Fellowship and national awards for services to teaching.
- A renowned fostering of science as evident in the annual Science Expo held at St Joseph’s.
- A tradition of community based projects that build community including our St Joseph’s Day, School Musical, Showcase and the Science Expo.
- State and National representation in hockey, netball, athletics, swimming, basketball, rugby league, soccer and tennis.